Friday, October 22, 2010

A Visit to the Respite Center


There are so many different units and services here at St. Ann Center that if you were walking in for the first time, you probably wouldn’t know where to begin. One of the, the respite center, is a place where people can bring their loved ones, usually frail from age or challenged with a disability, when they need someone to care for them for a while. Stays are no longer than 20 days. The respite area has 9 rooms, each with distinctive décor and cultural theme. Guests may stay in the Irish room or the Polish room, for example. Guests are invited to "feel at home" during their stay, and are treated like family. A departing guest recently remarked, "I loved my stay and can't wait to return!"

Marian, one of the respite staff, said “St Ann's is a wonderful place to work. This job is a blessing to have, for more reasons than one. I was able to bring my daughter to work when she could not be in childcare. When my car was snowed in and they were able to come get me. The spirit is wonderful here.”

Now, if you can name a place where not only the service is excellent, but the people providing that service genuinely enjoy being there, then I'll be happy to say that I was wrong when I thought “there's no community in the world like St. Ann Center!”

Written by St. Ann Center staff

No comments:

Post a Comment